Best Selling Gifts
Calendars & Planners on Sale
New Collections & Tools
See What's New
by Matt @ DaySpring June 3, 2016
The Lord’s love is with those who fear Him, and His righteousness with their children’s children. Psalm 103:17 NIV
Few things in a man’s life are more impactful than becoming a father. The focus of his heart, the use of his time, the stewardship of his resources are all drastically affected for the rest of his life. As you celebrate a new dad in your life, here are a few ways you can help him as he navigates the many changes that this daunting new role brings:
1. Inspire him - Remind him that God is the One who has chosen him to father this child and He will equip him with the love and wisdom he’ll need as he seeks God’s best.
2. Focus him – Keep it simple: Encourage him to pick three things to pray for daily that he wants most for this little one as they grow up. Examples: to have a vibrant faith; to have a servant-hearted love for others, to be a seeker of truth and wisdom.
3. Encourage him – Give him the gift of daily reminders about God’s provision for the high calling of fatherhood. Place these inspirational cards for men on desks, in vehicles, or wherever they will be used daily for fresh reminders of God’s love, strength, and guidance.
4. Affirm him – Let him know he’s doing a good job as he provides care, reminding him often of the vital role he plays in the child’s life. These inspirational magnets are great reminders to be strong in the Lord, have faith, and to seek His truth.
5. Equip him - Help him build a resource library of fathering books/videos/audio messages that will grow his knowledge base and his confidence for the challenges to come. The Resolution for Men Framed Wall Art from the movie Courageous is a bold declaration of commitments that men are making to be faithful to God as the spiritual leader of their home. This frame combines the powerful message with a place to include a family photo, making it more personable for husband/dad and family.
6. Nurture him - Compliment him often on the soft side: “I hope this little one grows up to have a heart for God and for others like you. Your life shows what the heart of the Father is like.”
7. Connect him – Look for ways to help him to build relationships with other dads and/or a mentor who can walk with him on the fathering journey. Some seasons of life are full of stresses and tough choices and when these relationships are already in place, they can make all the difference in weathering the storms.
8. Support him - Encourage him to access other quality resources if he feels overwhelmed or out of balance. A small course correction is a lot easier to make than a big one that has gone on too long.
9. Encourage him – Give him a place in which to record his thoughts/learnings/prayers for this little one that will give him a lifetime of memories to enjoy and pass on. A Faithful Man - Christian Journal is perfect for gifting to your husband, dad, son, brother, or others.
10. Pray for him – Use the fruit of the Spirit as a prompt to pray for him as he grows in expressing these qualities in his role as a father. The fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Galatians 5:22-23 NIV
Know a first-time dad? Choose two of the 10 above-mentioned ways to encourage him and make it a point to reach out to that first-time father in these two specific ways over the next two weeks. Then, check back in and choose another two ways, and so on and so on. While many of us have great intentions of being a constant encourager to those in our lives, it’s so easy to get caught up in the day-to-day tasks that we sometimes forget to support those who might just need a lift. During this season of celebrating fathers, let’s remember to encourage the weary first-timers who are getting their first-taste of fatherhood and remind them of where their true strength lies.
Looking for more gift ideas for a first-time father? Check out 35 handpicked items in our Gifts for Him section to find just the right gift to encourage the first-time dad in your life. And, don’t forget baby - we’ve got quite a collection of inspirational baby gifts such as Baby’s 1st Christmas Ornaments, Photo Books and Noah’s Ark Photo Frames, not to mention this precious Ivory Rosette Sleep Gown.
Your first email is on the way.